Tuesday, June 12, 2007

New York Minute #5 - Joan's car

It's a simple fact - of the 8 million people in the city of New York, there's not one person who I could have had a better time staying with than my own dear friend Joan. And she also just happens to have the coolest car in Brooklyn! Joan actually found this vintage yellow Checker cab at a thrift store in her home town of New Orleans. I believe she had it in storage for a long time before she was able to get it running. Here she is with her excellent car, parked outside of her apartment in Bed-Stuy.

Here's an old Polaroid from when I first met Joan, back in 1993. We are hanging out on the balcony of the garage apartment ("The Exedra") where I briefly lived with our friend Phoebe in the Dallas, Texas area. I was 18 and Joan was 15.Here's me and Joan at my Saturday Market booth when she came to visit me in Portland in 2004.
And here we are at Coney Island last month!

1 comment:

Sweet Olive Press | Helen said...

that is one amazing car -- you can find the craziest things in new orleans!

fabulous.