Friday, November 23, 2007

My work is in Venus Magazine!

I received the new issue of Venus Zine in the mail and found my Ruby Red Mandala Record Bowl in the feature on upcycling! I am so excited.

An Etsy seller whom I truly admire, theblackapple, was also featured in this issue for having topped the Venus Hott List for Best Indie Business! I have to echo what she said: "I couldn't hope to appear in an issue with a cooler cover girl. "

Here's what they had to say about my bowl:

2. Set the record straight
Christine Claringbold of Eye Pop Art has got me singing a whole new tune. She turns 12-inch vinyl records into water-tight, sculpture-like bowls. The designs are beautiful, functional, and green. ($48 plus shipping, eyepopart.etsy.com)

Also, if you aren't familiar with the term "upcycling," here's the definition Venus offers:
"Upcycle is a term coined by William McDonough and Michael Braungart in their 2002 book Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. The writers use "upcycle" as a term to describe the process of converting waste materials into something of similar or greater value than the original substance.

I first heard this term when I participated in Etsy's upcycling contest in early 2007.

No comments: